/etc key location auto-migration

Now that we have moved a bunch of packages keys or certs from somewhere in /usr to somewhere in /etc, shouldn't we also modify those packages %post to conditionally auto-migrate those keys/certs? Without auto-migration there will undoubtedly be many complaints and bug reports from people who upgrade like "FC4 broke SSL foo!"

Conditional auto-migration would need to be carefully implemented and tested because it can be complicated. For example in some cases it would need to perform string-replacement in config files to point at the new key/cert location.

In other cases it would *copy* keys/certs to new locations, but only if old location contains custom (non-packaged) keys/certs, and the new location does NOT contain custom files (files deposited prior to %post by the package update). How the heck would this be implemented (you may NOT run rpm during %post)? Is there any simpler algorithm that does the right thing?

After things are copied, it would need to check/correct file permissions to make sure things are safe.

In any case I'm convinced that auto-migration needs to happen, it will just be painful to implement correctly. First step is listing which packages need to be modified in this way?

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx