Re: STR working out of the box

> (As I've stated before, I think a whitelist is crack. :) )

Yah.

> >  3. vbetool is kind of evil; it's a workaround for broken video
> >     drivers and the mess that is X.org / kernel interaction wrt.
> >     to video hardware (so, vbetool becomes the 3th or 4th player
> >     directly touching hardware. Yay!). I expect we need to add
> >     radeontool at some point too.
>
> Note that vbetool is only for certain cards. There are other tools
> for other cards.

Apart from radeontool?

> Read apmscript. Cry at the horror.

I had to wear sunglasses.

> > In light of this: is it too dangerous, at this point, to enable this per
> > default given we use the white lists as discussed above? Should we
> > rather wait for the kernel/X.org to get fixed? (no, I'm not trolling
> > here, I'm being serious actually)
>
> I'd just enable it without the whitelist, personally.

Care to maintain the package and handle all the bug reports and angry
users then? :-)

Personally I think that the only sensible thing is to disable it per
default and require users to open a terminal (whoops, we just 50% of the
users), find the /etc/suspend.conf file (/me wonders how many we lost
there), have them figure out the options for suspend (there goes another
~50%), pray that it works (maybe it works for 65%) and make them really
hope the next kernel doesn't break. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. [1]

Cheers,
David

[1] : the percentages above are ca. 95% wrong