Re: rawhide/fc4 extras builds

Chaos at several fronts: a sudden mass-rebuild from a non-ready CVS for
pre-extras,

that was over a month ago and extras actually looks pretty good to me, right now.

 not
every packager has CVS access, rebuilds without build requests (e.g. PPC
builds of xv or unreviewed packages). I think coordination could be better.

How would you improve coordination w/o slowing things to a snails pace?

your list sound less like 'chaos' and more like 'everything isn't perfect'

And that means more chaos, because packages have build requirements
and hence depend on other packages to be ready, too.

no! packages have build requirements?!?! All this time I thought they were magically getting resolved. Well I'll be damned.
Cmon Michael, I know this - but you should know that rawhide is not a stable place all the time and I wouldn't expect or demand that the 'devel' branch of fedora extras be stable either.

No, it doesn't. Sorry. It doesn't answer my earlier questions. It doesn't
answer when and whether to mass-rebuild.

Well I think the answer, if you want to take my direction is this:

1. you get YOUR packages together.
2. we all encourage the other packagers to do the same for theirs
3. We set a bright deadline for devel tree release of extras and ask the packagers to stick to it.
  - I think maybe we should have that bright line be one week before the fc4t1 release - essentially slushy-freeze extras for 'devel' at the same time core freezes.
4. we figure out what's broken and fix it in that week, then release on-around the same time.

5. wash-rinse-repeat for fc4t2, t3 and final.

Then we're ready to go!

in the meantime I'm working on the build system stuff (mach2 + yum) so hopefully I'll have something for you use to test out your builds and it'll be a more controlled environment that you've been desiring.

I'd personally love to get a cvs makefile options of 'make mach-$arch', though it might just be simplest to do:
make srpm; mach rebuild $package.src.rpm

-sv