Re: Editor of the Week proposal

I want to follow up on the proposal:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bcotton/Magazine_Editor_of_the_Week

First, an open question: How would we track who the Editor of the Week
is? Just in the meeting minutes? On a wiki page? In the docs? With an
IRC command (similar to the .oncall command that the infra team uses)?
Generally, we should encourage the use of public channels (mailing
list/discourse and IRC channel), but there may be a time when it's
necessary to contact a person directly.

Secondly, someone in last week's meeting (I forget who) expressed
concern that it would lead to overburdening and burnout. I can't say
that it won't, but the intent is to do the opposite. By defining what
the tasks are and assigning them to someone, we give a clear set of
responsibility and change the person tasked with that responsibility
on a regular basis. Is a week too long? Maybe. It's certainly the most
convenient length of time, since the meetings give us a clear handoff
point.

I don't expect that the load would be too overwhelming to do for a
month, particularly because there's an understanding that this is best
effort. We could also split it into "first half of the week" and
"second half of the week" where the "halfway" point is the meeting.
But I think that overcomplicates it. Having spent years on pager duty
(including with a physical pager, which was fun), I'm sensitive to the
concern, but I think the proposal is a good starting point. We can
always adjust (having co-editors of the week with separated
responsibilities, shortening it to Editor of the Half Week, etc) if it
turns out to be a problem.

The other side of the coin is the writers and potential. Burnout isn't
the right word here, but something like discouragement. Right now,
proposals can sometimes sit for weeks without reply, which discourages
writers.  By making sure we're actively engaging with new writers and
the comments section, we can help keep the community vibrant and
healthy.

Thanks,
BC

--