Re: Move to Discourse trial — dates proposal

Despite my initial support for the move, I think there are some benefits to staying with mailing lists than moving to Discourse. First, mailing lists have traditionally been the de facto medium of communication on projects as a central box (even on your phone) where you get notified of the events and actions you need to take regarding the projects you're a member or fan of. Second, Discourse doesn't completely remove the need for the mailing list, because you might not be perfect at regularly browsing Discourse, which brings the need for mail alerts or summaries. That way, we would still be using the mailing list!
With that being said, given some experience with another open source project's Discourse page, I acknowledge that keeping track of magazine workflows could be easier on Discourse. And there is good search capability too. So, maybe taiga and pagure could be abandoned by moving to Discourse.
Let me know what you think and if I missed anything.
-mehdi
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 17:34, s40w5s@xxxxxxxxx<s40w5s@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:   On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 08:52 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:07 AM Adam Samalik <asamalik@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > We discussed a potential move to Discourse [1] in a thread titled
> > "What if
> > we moved to Discourse?".
> > My impression is that the strong majority of people are either for
> > it, or
> > willing to try. There was
> > a concern about capacity and cost, but let's leave issues such as
> > this to
> > the Council.
> >
> > So, what if we try it for a month, and then decide whether to stay
> > or go
> > back?
> >
> > Proposal:
> > We switch on Thursday 11 June.
> > We'll evaluate how it works during the week of 29 June.

Agree, switch on Thurs. June 11, 2020

> That's not a month. Let's evaluate the week of 13 July, so that we
> have a month of usage to work from.
>
> > On Monday 6 July we either stay or go back, based on the
> > evaluation.
> >
> Based on the above, I propose Thursday 16 July.
Agree, we need a full month of use to know if this is good for the
Magazine
>  The question becomes:
> who makes the decision, how, and based on what?
>
> For who and how, I say the editorial board by simple majority vote.

I think the Editorial board would encompass a good cross section of the
writers as well so this makes sense.
> Based on what? Um...stuff, I guess?
This is a good question, what are the driving reasons, the impetus for
the change? We should be able to determine if the move was a relative
success or not, and for that we need to clearly define the reasons for
the move in the first place. Maybe I've missed where it was stated, but
it wouldn't hurt to provide a concise reason or set of reasons.

Stephen Snow