Re: Combining fail2ban and firewalld Block by Country for a Layered Approach to Intrusion Protection

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:52 PM Paul Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Richard, sorry this is tardy. I was thinking about someone's (maybe it
> was Matthew's?) point that the Magazine doesn't want to seem punitive
> about any countries in particular. Maybe one of the ways to position
> it is a use case where you run a site that serves a local neighborhood
> (like an authority, or a business). It would made little sense for a
> site like that to get a lot of visits from outside the locality, even
> less so outside the country. So that makes a good backdrop for the
> article.

Yes, it makes much more sense for localized / personal / private networks
rather than for commercial sites, and from what I was told, the technical
level / audience for Fedora Magazine is on the lower end so I think this
aligns well.

> The editors could also find an accurate title like "Add security with
> firewalld with blacklists." It would also be helpful if you have a way
> to show an additional use of blacklisting that relies on something
> else like an IP range.

Let me think about that, it wasn't part of the original idea which was
around the linode article. I definitely want to mention fail2ban in the
title as it's what tells us where the intrusion attempts are coming from.

Ok, so I drafted this email, and then went down the rabbit hole for about
an hour...

I've added the ability to block specific IPs as well so it's not just about
countries.

As far as the title:

"A layered approach to intrusion prevention with fail2ban and firewalld
blacklists"

Still too long?

Thanks,
Richard