Re: Can't move article back to Review

Hi Pat:

I just took a peak at your article. It looks good. FYI, I think the following
sentence may be inaccurate:

"These actual capacities are usually slightly larger than the decimal based
number on the box or advertisement."

I always heard that the advertisers INTENTIONALLY use the decimal-based number
because it comes out slightly larger (i.e. 1TB looks better than 931GiB). From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#Units:

--
Software reports hard disk drive or memory capacity in different forms using
either decimal or binary prefixes. The Microsoft Windows family of operating

The difference between the decimal and binary prefix interpretation caused some
consumer confusion and led to class action suits against HDD manufacturers. The
plaintiffs argued that the use of decimal prefixes effectively misled consumers
while the defendants denied any wrongdoing or liability, asserting that their
marketing and advertising complied in all respects with the law and that no
class member sustained any damages or injuries.
--

There is a different issue where you might see that *SSDs* are, in actuality,
"slightly larger", but the extra space in that case is not directly accessible

There is also another hidden memory area in SSDs (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area) that manufacturers and others
use to hide software.

Just FYI,
gb