Re: SSH port forwarding article

On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 08:36 -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
> Jakub, you can still find it here:
> https://fedoramagazine.org/?p=29503&preview=1&_ppp=7cd9f47a93

Thank you for the link.
Generally very nice article. But I have just a few comments:

 * There is an error in the first command or it does not match

$ ssh -L 8000:localhost:8000 remote.example.com

should say

$ ssh -L 80:localhost:8000 remote.example.com

(note, that you will probably have to run it as a root to be able to
bind port 80 here -- I think using the local 8000 port would be more
appropriate)

 * The Remote port forwarding can be restricted on the server with
PermitOpen and GatewayPorts (binds only-loopback by default)
configuration options. Mentioning them might save a lot of googling and
trouble for readers who would like to try these things.

 * I also miss the emphasis on the security in some places. You mention
it, but I think in both of the cases (http, mysql), it is good to
mention that they are (mysql usually) plaintext protocols and sending
them (as it is) over internet is almost never a good idea.

 * I miss the -D dynamic port forwarding, which can solve very similar
problems as the local port forwarding, more effectively. But I
understand that it might come as a separate article since it has on
itself more to say.

Otherwise it is very nice read with simple explanations I would like
people to read and I will be happy to point to.

Thanks,
Jakub

--
Jakub Jelen