Re: [Pitch] Setup a Wireguard VPN server and client

Hi Peter,

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:07 PM Peter Maynard <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> WireGuard [1] is a new VPN that uses the latest cryptography methods. The
> article will introduce wireguard, provide some light background into VPNs,
> then follow on setting up and connecting to the service. WireGuard was
> designed to be simple to configure and deploy, which is why I think it is a
> suitable for the fedora magazine.  Overall, I think wireguard is a good
> introduction to VPNs and can provide users with additional network
> security. The client will (hopefully) use network manager [2], and
> WireGuard will be installed outside of the official repo [3] (as
> recommended by the developers), though there is discussion [4] about the
> need for wireguard to be included into Fedora.

I like this idea a lot and was thinking about playing with it personally,
so this is very timely.

Will you be covering both server and client set up?

>From your comment about being a PostDoc it seems you may be able to help me
answer a question that could be a paragraph in your article.  Is Wireguard
ready?  Everything I've read seemed to indicate it was working and likely
secure, but wan't really ready.  Do you have an opinion? I'd love to read
it in the article.

regards,

bex

> This is my first pitch, what do you thing?
>
> A bit about me, I'm a PostDoc at a university researching network security
> on critical infrastructure.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Pete
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WireGuard
> [2]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/thaller/2019/03/15/wireguard-in-networkmanager/
> [3] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/jdoss/wireguard/packages/
> [4]
> https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/modern-security-we-need-wireguard/1416/7

Brian "bex" Exelbierd (he/him/his)
Fedora Community Action & Impact Coordinator
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org
bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx | bex@xxxxxxxxx