Re: Fedora magazine DNS switch

Le mardi 27 août 2019 à 10:06 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman a écrit :
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2019, Paul Frields wrote:
>
> > Thanks for continuing to work on this, Michael. I'm not sure I
> > understand the proxy trouble, but that's OK. The Magazine seems to
> > be
> > working well for daily use so far. If something changes we'll let
> > you
> > know!
> > > In practice, it do change a few details:
> > > - the certificate. Now, this is a letsencrypt one, not a digicert
> > > one.
> > > - the blog is ip v4 only
>
> I don't see any problem with letsencrypt.

yeah, just warning people to not panic if they see the cert got
changed;

> But why not include the IPv6
> of the server in DNS?

Our provider (wpengine) only support ipv4 AFAIK.

> Why would a proxy be required to support IPv6?
> Does Wordpress somehow not support IPv6 or something, and the proxy
> was used to work around that?

No, the proxy was used for the old installation (like last month) in
Fedora cloud. It was setup this way so the certificate (a digicert one,
so 3 years but not automated) could be managed by the infra team for
all websites at once. The IP v6 was just a side effect of being hosted
on Fedora infra managed systems.

We moved out of the cloud to a hoted wordpress provider, so we had to
get a new certificate, hence the switch to lets encrypt. And a new IP,
hence the warning

I warned people, in case some folks have some fancy browser plugin that
verify certificates, this kind of stuff (principle of least surprise).

--
Michael Scherer / He/Il/Er/Él
Sysadmin, Community Infrastructure