Re: Pitch submission for DIY Digital Jukebox Project

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 03:52:19AM +0000, Shaun Assam wrote:
> Hi Paul, Silvia, and Eduard.
>
> Thanks for the encouraging ideas and feedback on the DIY Jukebox pitch.
> I had a feeling MPD might cause some controversy due to it's
> entanglement with some non-free packages. I thought because the MPD
> package was in the free portion of RPMFusion it had a chance for
> approval.

*Nod.  It's important to distinguish "free" from "legally encumbered"
in this case.  It's possible to create 100% free and open source
software that also, for example, reads on patents.  Because we observe
those restrictions, we can't promote that type of free software.
"Nonfree" software, on the other hand, may be free of such legal
encumbrances, but available only under a nonfree license that prevents
us from distributing it.

> I did some research into MPD to try Eduard's suggestion on building the
> program from source. One of the dependencies for MPD is FFmpeg, and
> even though FFmpeg is licensed under GPL (or LGPL depending on the
> packages used), the "legal" page on their website states, "What we do
> know is that various standards FFmpeg supports contain vague hints that
> any conforming implementation might be subject to some patent rights in
> some jurisdictions..." (http://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html). Based on the
> information from that page, I feel it would be best to play it safe and
> work with Paul's idea on an MPD-alternative to avoid any issues.
>
> Good news is I've found one candidate for a server/client music player
> that is in the official Fedora repository called XMMS2. Bad news is
> I've never used it before, so I'll play around with it this weekend and
> let you know if it will work in the article.
>
> Thanks again for your thoughts and support.

Awesome news.  I continue to think this has the makings of a great
article so I applaud your efforts!