Re: [magazine] Re: New idea

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 03:32:15PM +0200, Alessio Ciregia wrote:
> > I wrote a very short draft about a geeky command that we can find in
> > Fedora: espeak.
> >
> > Espeak is speech synthesizer, a command line tool that can speak text
> from
> > a file or from standard input.
> >
> > There is not much to say about such command: some ideas, an example.
> > In any case I find it amusing, but at the same time useful to raise
> talking
> > Nagios alerts from my laptop, like a nerd. :-)
>
> I like this concept, but what ideas and examples are you thinking to
> include?  The talking alerts are an interesting use case.  It would be
> nice if you could describe briefly how espeak works, any limitations a
> user might hit, and 1-2 additional use cases.  That should help fill
> out the article to a reasonable length.

Well, I'm not an expert in voice synthesizing so I can not deep into many
technical details.
In the other hand I can provide some examples and list some of the
available options.
Espeak is a text-to-speech tool, so you can let him read a text file. You
can tail a log file, grep for a keyword, and pipe all to espeak: in that
way you can listen to log messages of interest.
Obviously it has limitations, in some cases the voice is not clear,
specially in non English languages, and it looks like a talking computer in
an old sci-fi movie.
Said that, I think that it is a fun tool that deserves to be tried.

Ciao
A.