Re: Fedora personal progress stories

Hi,

> On 11/15/2016 01:18 AM, S.Kemter wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> During FUDCon APAC in Phnom Penh we came together and had time to speak
>> about some problems we facing in the region. One problem the region has,
>> except India where the situation is entirely different is, that the people
>> dont see the value in contributing to FOSS project, what includes us.
>> People in China and South East Asia are more interesting in making money,
>> thats why they engage more in projects that are direct related to
>> business,
>> that is why Google with his Developer Group as well with Techstars the
>> organization the StartUp weekends has more success. It is really hard to
>> explain them, that they can improve their skills and improve their cv
>> through contributing to an FOSS project.
>>
>> So Brian came up with an idea which could help us, the idea is to search
>> for people who had success through contributing to Fedora and publish
>> their
>> story to give good examples to follow them. I think that will help not
>> just
>> APAC alone.
>>
>> I think the Fedora Magazine could be the right place to publish this
>> success stories.
>>
>> So what you think? Can we find several people, who had success with
>> contributing to a FOSS project in their personal life?
>>
>> br gnokii
>>

> Hey Sirko, thanks for this suggestion. It's helpful to know some of the
> background context in APAC about how people view open source.

First of all, stop talking APAC, because its the most diverse region, there
are huge differences between India and the rest and that is part of the
problem. What China, Japan, Taiwan and South East Asia share is, that money
comes first for Australia and India its totally different.

> So far, *most* (but not all) of the "How do you Fedora?" articles cover
> people from North America or Europe. If there are specific candidates you
> had in mind, I think we should try to include them in the HDYF series on
> the Magazine.

Negative, first I have no candidates in mind, second I dont think its a
good idea to cover it inside HDYDF it would be to much hidden, some of this
stories was just really what desktop and programs they use in their daily
work thats entirely different to how somebody started with contributing to
foss, what obstacles he had and how he did success with it.

> However, we could probably construct the interview a little differently
> than we do most of them. There could be a larger focus on how open source
> paved the way for a successful career or something along those lines.
>
> Do you feel that this would work? I would love to improve representation
> of Fedora contributors in APAC in the HDYF series.

see above, you can have definitely some Asians in that series, that USE
fedora but you have to go to them, thats the way it is for most Asians they
are pro-active ;)

br gnokii

make me rich, buy my Inkscape book http://is.gd/yq5OD0 ;)