Mirror support (Re: Fedora Legacy shutting down)

David Eisenstein wrote:

>Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
[...]
>>    Also I'd like to know if there's a list of mirrors that will
continue
>>to be available for a while. If not I'd like to know how I can rsync all
>>packages created by the Fedora Legacy Project without also rsyncing the
>>packages that are still available at download.fedora.redhat.com. Most
>>packages have legacy in their filename, but I believe some do not. Can
>>anyone shed some more light on this?
>
>In addition to what someone else said about the planetmirror mirror in
>another message, I had heard that the fermilab ftp mirror (of Batavia,
>Illinois, USA) has no intention to go down any time soon.  The contact
>there, Troy Dawson, kindly informed Jesse Keating that fnal's mirror
>has always been a full mirror of the legacy repository, and pains were
>taken to make sure it would remain there without losing any data or
>packages when the main repo went down.
>
>Fermilab mirror:
>
>       ftp://linux21.fnal.gov/linux/legacy/
>
>A mirror I have used in the past at Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa,
>USA) appears to still be up, but I have no idea what plans, if any, they
>have for keeping it around:
>
>       http://rh-mirror.linux.iastate.edu/fedoralegacy/
>       ftp://rh-mirror.linux.iastate.edu/fedoralegacy/

>More information about Iowa State's mirror, including contact
>information, appears to be on the web here:
>       http://rh-mirror.linux.iastate.edu/fedora-legacy/

   We're planning to keep them up for at least six months to a year so
long as we are getting significant downloads from people. If the numbers
start to drop, we'll probably take it down sooner than that.

   Current stats:

      RPMS downloaded in November: 5987

      RPMS downloaded in December: 10620

      RPMS downloaded in January: 3006

      RPMs downloaded since Feb 1: 19799

So, at least some people still find us useful.  :+D

   We don't think, from a security point of view, that it is responsible
to encourage people to use older systems by leaving them up longer than
a year. But that gives people time to find a suitable migration path.

    Dave

Dave Edsall
Academic Systems Software
Information Technology Services