Re: RHEL subset of which FC ?

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 11:11:29AM +0100, P. Martinez wrote:
> Am 18.01.2007 um 02:19 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen:
>
> >If you are looking at one could attempt an upgrade from to then it
> >would be that
> >
> >RHL-7.0, RHL-7.1, RHL-7.2  might be upgraded to RHEL-2.1
> >RHL-7.3, RHL-8, RHL-9 might be upgraded to RHEL-3
> >FCL-1, FCL-2, FCL-3 might be upgraded to RHEL-4
> >FCL-4, FCL-5, FCL-6 might be upgraded to RHEL-5

There could be individual circumstances but I "upgraded" two heavily
hacked RHL-7.x machines to CentOS-4, which is from a software point
of view really the same as RHEL-4, and this was a "non-event".
True, it required some coaxing to start the whole process and a
careful cleanup afterwards (both 'yum-utils' and 'rpm' are helpful
in that) but other than that, which means an extra work, this was
not a problem.

If you did not dump everything into one big partition in the first
place then installing over system parts, while keeping local data,
and restoring a desired configuration afterwards could be simpler
and quicker.  Selectively restoring from backups also can be an
option.  Make no mistake - a machine in use for a while is likely
"more customized" then it looks at the first glance so getting to an
equivalent configuration on a new installation is usually quite a
bit more work than you think.  Still with a bit of planning you may
end up ahead.

> Till now, there is no decision about our current
> OS-strategies.

Thinking in terms what can be, apparently, "upgraded" to what
is possibly not that great idea.

   Michal