Re: Fedora Legacy shutting down

On Monday 01 January 2007 18:08, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 December 2006 00:23, fedora-legacy-
> >
> > announce@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> Discussions last night on the #Fedora-Legacy channel have brought to
> >> light the fact that certain Fedora Legacy properties (servers) may be
> >> going away soon, such as the repository at
> >> <http://download.fedoralegacy.org/> and the build server.  Legacy
> >> folks
> >> need to let us know what they want to be done with the content in the
> >> repository mirrors.  If you don't speak up, we may find ourselves
> >> in a
> >> place where 'yum update' commands will fail in the near future for
> >> the
> >> Red Hat and Fedora Core releases that Legacy has supported in the
> >> past.
> >
> > I would like to make clear that the servers are only going offline
> > because the
> > project is ending, and keeping them online consumes real
> > resources.  This
> > consumption is unnecessary if the project is shut down.
>
> I understand, but I would really appreciate it if the updates created
> by Fedora Legacy would not just disappear. Any chance (like I asked
> before in another post) they could be hosted in a legacy dir under
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/ or something? The
> download.fedora.redhat.com site still hosts all base, updates and
> extras packages for all Fedora releases since version 1, so I imagine
> adding the FL created packages shouldn't take a lot of extra space.
>
> Nils.

I have to agree with Nils. It doesn't make any sense that I can reinstall FC2
for example, get all the updates up until the time it was taken over by
Fedora legacy, and yet all the Fedora Legacy updates are going to be sent
down the can when the servers are switched off.

This doesn't seem very fair considering all the time spent by various folks,
including yourself, in prolonging the life of RH7.2, RH9, FC1, FC2, and FC3.

Surely there is someway to incorporate the legacy updates into Redhat Fedora
updates.  If not there doesn't seem to be much sense in the Redhat Fedora
servers (core and updates) still being online for RH7.2, RH9, FC1, FC2, and
FC3.

I have to say that the best FC versions, with the least install problems have
been FC1, and FC2, and am posting from one of my FC2 installs at this time.
I can understand moving on, and have FC3, FC4, and FC5 installed on my 2
machines. They have all presented their own problems. FC3 has a continual
problem with KDE's kicker crashing each time I logout. FC4 would only run
using Xorg's vesa driver until I did 100's of MB's of updates. FC5 on one
machine using a Rage 128 card with r128 driver would not start X, and I had
to use the vesa driver. Apparently this is a bug in Xorg-7.0. On the other
machine FC5 works ok with my onboard Cyberbladei1 card using the trident
driver, and I'm not complaining about FC5 on this machine as it works ok.

All in all though I still believe that FC1 with the 2.4 kernel, and FC2 moving
to the 2.6 kernel have been the best of FC for me.

I'm only a home user, and only been using computers since 2003, and mainly
Linux. I wish I could have helped with Fedora Legacy, but didn't feel
suitably qualified. It's a real shame seeing it going down the tubes.

Nigel.