Re: Fedora Legacy shutting down

On Saturday 30 December 2006 03:33, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody is working on a communications piece for the
> shutdown.  A who-what-when-where-why-how sort of article?  I'm
> assuming it would be on the Wiki/homepage if it were, but here's
> asking anyhow.

Reading this list over the last year or so would be good info.

> So, assuming it hasn't been, I can volunteer to put something
> together, to save the multitudes the effort of investigation.  I
> spent some time looking over the last couple months of mailing list
> archives, the internetnews piece, and Jesse's blog, but I'm not
> convinced I have the whole story.  Some outstanding questions would be:
>
>    * was there any attempt to recruit new leadership?

Yes, leadership does no good without contributors.

>    * ditto for sponsorship

Nobody has responded to our calls for help.  Nobody.

>    * is there data on usage (I saw that 'interest was low' but I'm
> not sure if it means interest in volunteering or interest in terms of
> yum updates)

Sure, there are a good number of consumers, people who will happily consume
until the project ends, however they are not willing to actually DO any of
the work necessary to keep the project alive.  They would be better suited
consuming updates from a product that is designed for their usage cases.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora