Re: nails in coffins? Re: Openssl updates

On 11/30/06, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:

> Unfortunately I will have to be migrating our last Fedora servers
> over to CentOS even sooner now...

I take it, then, that extending Fedora's (supported) life-cycle to 13+ mos
isn't sufficient for your needs?

For my previous government jobs it took about 3 months to get an OS
certified from the time it was gold to when it could be used. That
leaves 10 months of usefulness of it, which I think will work well for
the cluster people who needed the latest stuff as they will be really
only using it for 6 months before the next upgrade. The finalized
large cluster would go onto being Centos or RHEL as it would need to
run the same code sets for 5 years.  Depending on the department, a 10
month lifetime would also be ok for desktops. For servers, it is too
short of a time as it usually takes about 2 months after the OS is ok
to be used for the various services to be solid. However, it is what
people get for living off the work of others (eg gratis)