Re: nails in coffins? Re: Openssl updates

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:29:28PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 01:26:12PM -0600, David Eisenstein wrote:
> > I wish I could do more.  But really, I don't know that that wish is
> > realistic.  Does anyone else wish more could be done?  Or do we just kill the
> > project?
>
> Well, as I've said, I wish more could be done, but I can't really do it. I
> think the best thing is to officially hang up the "Closed" sign as soon as
> possible. If, later, there's interest in extending the lifespan of a
> particular release, we can revisit.

I would rephrase it in a positive way: Legacy is merged with Core and
Extras under one umbrella redefining EOL time marks. E.g. there is a
shorter total lifespan, but during that lifespan there is more
manpower assigned to get timely security fixes out.

The current compromise is that FL was extending Fedora by 12 months,
where now it will be only 4 additional months. Reviving FL in these
terms would mean to try to extend a couple more months. But let's give
that new model a new chance first and measure demand and available
manpower after the first implementation of this model.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net