Re: Upgrading FC releases via yum

Kirk Pickering wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 09:45:11AM -0500, James Kosin wrote:
Hmmm.....   maybe a better upgrade path would be in order.  Allowing
users to keep their configuration; with minor changes and upgrade the
units to FC6->FC7->FC8 etc.  without any troubles.

I am trying the procedure at the link below right now on a FC4 laptop. It's a method to upgrade from FC4 to FC5 via yum. So far, it seems to be working well on a fairly clean FC4 installation.

One nice aspect of doing it this way is that I only have to download 710MB of package updates, as opposed to 5 CD-ROMs stuffed with packages that I don't need.

Has anyone on this list tried the following method?
http://www.makuchaku.info/blog/how-to-upgrade-from-fc4-to-fc5-via-yum

The guy on the blog is my colleague. We do it all the time but it doesnt work well with random packages and repositories. When Fedora Core adopted the extras packaging guidelines a number of packages didnt have a proper upgrade path and I had to do some post upgrade manual clean up. It isnt yet good enough for me to recommend to new users.

Rahul