Re: fedora-l] Migrating from RH9 Legacy to CentOS 3

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 01:36:18PM +0000, Paul Lee wrote:

> All we have to do then is copy/backup the legacy RH9 server into a the
> new openvz node (typically into /vz/private/<veid)). Basically rsync /
> /home /var /usr etc

A word of warning here.  When you are doing operations like the
above, for whatever reasons, skip /var/log/lastlog file.  Not only
an information in it will not be useful later but this is a sparse
file and it is "very sparse". :-)   On x86_64 installation its
length will be in order of 1.2 TB while its size, in disk blocks,
somewhere between 60 and 70 K.  For i386 differences are not so
dramatic. Typically around 20 MB versus 20-30 K (it varies with a
number of accounts on an installation).  Still you do not need it.
Even if you did not forget about option -S to rsync, and similar if
you are using some other utility, reading through 1.2 TB takes a
long while. With 32-bits this is far from beeing that bad but better
get into habit. :-)

There are other sparse files laying around, typically those in
/var/lib/rpm/, but gaps between lengths and sizes are not likely
be so significant.

    Michal