pcmcia error prevents boot rh9 on dell csx

RH 2.4.20-46.9.legacy on a Dell Latitude CSx,
single-boot.

Boot hangs with
Socket Status:  300000006
but I can start fine going into Interactive mode and
typing N at the
Start service pcmcia
prompt.

The boot log stops at
pcmcia: Starting PCMCIA services:
with no error details when this freeze happens.

When I try to start pcmcia services through the
x-windows Services utility, the application freezes
there also.

Any idea where I should be looking? BTW, I have used a
2Wire wireless card with the orinoco driver,
alternating with a Xircom LAN card, both just fine,
before this problem came up. Also, the laptop went
through airport carry-on security right before this
all started.

thanks

This problem seems very similar to one archived on the
fedora list, one which unfortunately had no
resolution, but it was also a Latitude:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg02116.html