apache logging problems

I upgraded my redhat 6.2 - 7.0 boxes to redhat 9 and now I am having a strange thing happen with apache logging. My virtual hosts log to their own separate locations, and it has worked fine this way for years, but now, sometimes after the Sunday 4:02 AM restart there is no more logging (combined log or error log), for the virtual servers and I have to stop and restart apache to get logging working again. The logs are rotated properly and there are new files created which are writable but no entries are made.

Any ideas what is going wrong?
Thanks,
-Joshua

--