Re: Discussion of content, security Re: FC3 yum instructions

David Eisenstein wrote:

STEP 2 AND STEP 1.4

I am wondering ... it seems to me that we included code in the RPM
"legacy-yumconf-3-4.fc3.noarch.rpm" that includes and automatically
installs the Fedora Legacy GPG key when this RPM package is installed.
Can someone confirm or deny that? If so, then "Step 2: Configure yum for Fedora Legacy" already takes care of the work that Step 1.4 asks the user
to do.

HOWEVER, as the legacy-yumconf RPM file itself is signed by the Fedora
Legacy key, the "rpm -Uvh" step in step 2 would be downloading and
installing the legacy-yumconf package without the benefit of the Legacy GPG key to check to make sure it is not tampered with. So it seems to me that Step 1.4 isn't necessarily a duplication of effort, as it verifies
that the legacy-yumconf package installed in Step 2 is signed with the
key installed in Step 1.4.

It seems a little more secure to go ahead and let users *do* step 1.4, and
if they're lazy and don't want to do it, it gets done for them anyway.

SO, is my interpretation correct? Do we need to ask the user still to do Step 1.4 if Step 2 takes care of it? Considering the warning the user may
get in Step 2 if Legacy's key isn't already installed --
("warning: legacy-yumconf-3-4.fc3.noarch.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
   key ID 731002fa")

-- would that be confusing enough to warrant keeping Step 1.4 there and asking the user to do it? If we removed Step 1.4, would we introduce some kind of risk to the user -- say, if a Fedora Legacy downloading site or mirror were to be compromised by some attacker, who might put in his/her
own legacy-yumconf package and install a gpg key of his/her choice?

Would it be possible to get legacy-yumconf signed with the regulat (non-legacy) FC3 key?

Nils.

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx