Re: crazy thought about how to ease QA testing

Pekka Savola wrote:
Jim Popovitch wrote:
I have to agree with Jesse, there is no way automated testing will work. There are just too many differing issues from patch to patch.

Jim, you're probably missing the fact that VERIFY QA doesn't include the steps "test if the patch worked; test if the vulnerability is fixed". While some folks do perform more rigorous testing, it's not required, and for a good reason.

Pekka, ;-) You are probably missing the fact that I rigorously test the patches that affect the platform and rpms that I use (which may be less than what others use).

Which one is better, not shipping any updates at all (or after months and months of delays), or shipping "looks good" updates quickly and fixing them (if issues come up) even faster?

I wholeheartedly agree with your "release in 2 weeks, even if not tested" stance, as this *does* get the fix into the hands of people in a timely fashion. I also think that the critical fixes (ssh/kernel/httpd/etc) get plenty of attention and testing before release. X11, Mozilla, Fonts, etc., can all fail after upgrade and everyone still be safe, IMHO.

Aiming for perfection doesn't cut it.

Exactly!  Microsoft taught us that.  ;-)

Contrary to common beliefs, FL doesn't have the resources for thorough testing that some vendors have the luxury of. That's why we employ those vendors' fixes directly :-)

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx