Re: x86_64 support

Quoting Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>:

FC1, FC2, and FC3 have supported both x86 and x86_64.  (FC4 has added
ppc to the mix as well.)  Fedora Legacy has only supported x86, but
there has been discussion of extending this to x86_64.

My understanding is it _will_ be added, as soon as the build system
supports it.

So, given that we're currently already supporting 5 different versions,

1) Should we start supporting all the architectures for previous
   releases (FC1, FC2) where we didn't from day zero ?
2) Should we support new architectures for new releases (FC3, FC4,
   ..)?

For 1) I don't care.
For 2) Definately.

My personal take would be, 1) NO, 2) Hopefully not.  The reasons are
simple: we don't do a very good job as it is, and adding even more
versions to build and potentially test at VERIFY stage would strain
this even more.

And not supporting what is sure to be a huge user base of 64-bit users
will only drain the project of volunteers even more.

I have access to 1 and only one FC machine.  It is FC3 and it is x64.
I've been waiting until we take over FC3 x64 so I can help.  If we don't
take that over, then I will not help with FC releases.

Especially as many of the latest bugs seem 64-bit
specific: especially for 1), we'd need to go back and check every
package to make sure we didn't miss any 64-bit specific update.

That is why I'm okay with not supporting the older FC releases in x64.
But the new ones, I say we should do it.

I'd like to pose the question as follows:  is there anyone out there
who would want FL to support either past, present or future non-x86
arches who is willing to commit to doing serious help?

Yes, for future releases.

Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin