Re: Upcoming transition of FC3

Jim Popovitch wrote:

Matthew Nuzum wrote:

The problem, and we have all seen this, is that those in the 'know' are
not the ones who would sue FL.  All it will take is for FL to
automagically update one package that breaks a custom billing
application on a bored lawyer's computer.... I don't think the risk is
worth trying to be noble.

Rather than auto-updating by default, why not just disable network
interfaces at EOL?

-Jim P.

Very intriguing idea... I'll bet this could be developed into a ton of
excellent sys-admin jokes. I'd like it if someone posted the suggestion to
Slashdot so I can read all the replies it would generate.

An interesting way to make everyone happy in future generations would be to create the FCL repo before the FC version is even released. Then everyone could have the FCL repo in their yum config from the very beginning. Since there's nothing eventful going on with FCL's repo until FCx+2 is near, it
would have no impact. However, once EOL comes up and FCL takes over, new
updates will automatically start coming from the FCL repo. This drastically
reduces the likelihood of an unpleasant surprise.

The chief issue I see is with the implementation as Redhat/Fedora and FL are two completely different organizations. People trust Redhat, but those same people don't transfer that trust to FL probably due to the looseness of FL.

Basically you would have to convince RH's lawyers to allow you to take over responsibility for their EOL'ed systems. Right now the RH lawyers don't care. We could have the FL lawyers, opps there are no FL lawyers. ;-) What you need is for the RH lawyers to provide a way for you to add yum configs to something they are still responsible for.

This issue isn't a technical one, it is a legal one.

-Jim P.

1. Those people are already trusting Fedora Extras.
2. I've met some professionals who didn't know about FL and thought they were getting updates, just none had come out in a while.

Jason

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx