RE: mysql-server

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:14:16 -0800 (PST), David Rees wrote
> On Tue, March 29, 2005 9:48 am, Pettit, Paul said:
> >
> > I don't want to go to each and every machine (I have more than 1) and
> > manually run yum to update them. It defeats the purpose of having cron.
> > In fact Fedora Legacy's own documentation has a specific step for adding
> > automatic updates (step 4 - 7.3 documentation). There is no mention that
> > this process is NOT recommended by FL nor would I expect one. To limit
> > people to manually acting on updates devalues FL's service below
> > Microsoft.
>
> I use a modified /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron to email me when a machine
> has updates to apply.  I'll paste it in below.
>
> To handle an automatic update for all machines, you could write a script
> which goes out and runs yum update on all machines using ssh and public
> key authentication so no manual intervention is required except to
> initiate the command.  For example for the automatic update script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> MACHLIST="mach1 mach2 mach3"
> for i in $MACHLIST; do
> 	ssh root@$i yum -y update
> done
>
> You may want to use sudo instead of logging in directly as root.
>
> For the daily script which tells me daily which machines need updating:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ]; then
> 	YUM="/usr/bin/yum"
> 	DEBUG="-e 0 -d 0"
> 	EMAIL="drees@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> 	LOG=`mktemp -q /tmp/yum.XXXXXX`
> 	if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
>     	echo "$0: Can't create temp file for yum update, exiting..."
>     	exit 1
> 	fi
> 	$YUM -R 120 $DEBUG list updates | grep -v \
> 		"No Packages Available to List" >> ${LOG}
> 	# Uncomment the next line to automatically update packages
> 	#$YUM -R 120 $DEBUG -y update >> ${LOG}
> 	if [ -s ${LOG} ] ; then
> 		cat ${LOG} | mail -s "Yum Update Alert `hostname`" ${EMAIL}
> 	else
> 		# No packages to update, clean the cache
> 		$YUM $DEBUG clean all
> 	fi
>
> 	rm -f ${LOG}
> fi
>
> Hope this helps.  Feel free to use these scripts as needed or post
> them on the FAQ as necessary!

To each his own, however, I do not use the cron.daily version, but use a
crontab entry:

# run yum check for updates daily and mail results to root
0 5 * * * root /usr/bin/yum check-update 2>&1 | mail -s "yum check-update
output" root

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx