Re: Numbering conventions

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:55:04 -0800, Howard Owen wrote
> Progeny is the Linux systems company founded by Ian Murdock of Debian
> fame. They run a "transition service" for RH 7.2 7.3, 8 and 9. Their
> numbering scheme is name-base-version.progeny.n .. So the indicated
> kernel:
>
> 	kernel-2.4.20-31.9.progeny.7.athlon.rpm
>
> is the 7th Progeny patch to the base RHL 9 kernel. There is no way to
> easily compare this with the legacy kernels, because they are the
> product of two different patching processes. The only way to tell is
> to grab the source RPMs and compare the patches between the two.
> It's likely that they have chosen similar approaches to similar
> problems, just as it's likely that they have diverged on some.

That is what I thought, but wanted someone else's feedback. Progeny sometimes
has updates not available via legacy. Hence, my approach has been legacy first
and progeny second. Progeny had just released their newest kernel whereas the
legacy one was released in Feb. However, even if I force install the progeny
version, yum is going to want to install the current legacy version. Things do
not seem to be broke, I think I will just let them be.

Thank you.

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx