Re: About Fedora Legacy's WikiSite

Eric Rostetter wrote:
In another project I work on, using different wiki software, each wiki
change is e-mailed to the core developers.  That way the core developers
immediately see any changes, and can "immediately" fix any spam attacks,
bogus entries, etc.  Sounds like that would be a lot of e-mail traffic
but it really isn't (wiki pages are not updated as often as one would
think).

You never know. If spammers start targetting wikis with the same effort they put into blogs, you might start seeing a *lot* of mail. A typical blog comment spam run on my site seems to last about an hour and post 100-200 comments. I have countermeasures, of course, and on the rare occasions something gets through it's generally a one-off or from a small run of about 5, but the scale is still staggering -- and if I had to get an email about each attempt, I'd be buried under them.

As for the scale, this does have to do with two things: (1) My blog goes back about 2 years, so there are a lot of posts for them to target, and (2) it's much simpler to automate sending to comment forms, since it's usually a single transaction, than to automate a wiki change, since you often have to log in, meaning you need to implement an actual session and not just fire off a POST with the right field names.

--
Kelson Vibber

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx