Re: Upgrading RH9 Kernel and Promise SATA Raid

Simon Weller wrote:
Adaptec do some nice controllers, but stay away from the cheaper ones, as they
often use third party chipsets from the likes of Promise.
I don't have a lot of experience with Mylex cards, although from memory some
of them use Symbios based chipsets, and I haven't had a good run with them
either.

Those two distributors you mentioned in regards to 3ware are master channel
distributors. You will find 3ware products available through most general
distributors as they buy their product from their upstream.

Adaptec's aacraid controllers are horrible with kernel/bios matching.  We currently have 30-some-odd Dell Poweredge 2650's with Perc3/Di controllers.  You can only run BIOS XXX with kernel YYY from Redhat 7.3 and such (hence fedora-legacy -- ;-).  We hate them, and are planning on using LSI (megaraid series) from here on out.

As for IDE; we've used 3ware twice, and have been impressed.

--
Craig Kelley
In-Store Broadcasting Network

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx