Re: fedora-legacy-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 24

Quoting Howard Owen <hbo@xxxxxxxxx>:

"3. Do as much of the development work as possible directly in the
upstream packages. This includes updates; our default policy will be to
upgrade to new versions for security as well as for bugfix and new
feature update releases of packages."

That is different than "unstable".

This is less conservative than a distribution designed to run for years
performing a particular workload. The word "unstable" isn't mentioned in
the objectives

Of course not. Who would intentionally create an unstable OS?

but point one of the "non-objectives" is:

"1. Slow rate of change."

It follows the open source dogma of "release often" is all. That doesn't mean it can't be stable (if done properly).

OTOH, point seven of the objectives is:

"7. Promote rapid adoption of new releases by maintaining easy
upgradeability, with minimal disturbances to configuration changes."

That has nothing to do with stability of the OS.

I can attest that the FC1-FC2 upgrade worked extremely well for me.

That has nothing to do with the stability of an install, only of the upgrade process.

Businesses I have knowledge of have shied away from Fedora Core because of
the rapid rate of change issue.

Yes, and many large businesses I know have shied away from Linux and gone with a "real unix" also. But what's the point?

In my opinion, folks who have taken the
plunge with FC1 on production machines really need to seriously consider
upgrading to FC2.

Yes, they do, but should they be forced to do it on the FC schedule, rather than depend on FL giving them a bit more flexibility in when to upgrade?

FL doesn't want to extend FC 1 forever, just to about 1.5 years.  They
will need to upgrade, FL just gives them more time to do so, so that they
don't have to do it every 6 months (but say, instead, every 12 months).

This is in line with the objectives quoted above. Red
Hat and the volunteers at the Fedora project seem to have tried awfully
hard to make that as smooth as possible. (c.f. *not turning on SELinux by
default.)

Yes, and that is good for some target audiences. And FL is good for other target audiences. Both have their place.

--
Eric Rostetter