Re: apt or yum?

At 10:44 AM 5/14/2004, you wrote:
Both apt and yum are just acting as front-ends to RPM, right?  Is there
any reason one cannot use both, rather than choosing one?

Well, it's easier to set up one tool than two.

Other than that, all I can think of is that it's a bit more efficient. If you install packages through apt, yum still has to grab those headers the next time it runs. If you use yum every time, it already grabbed them.

That said, on my Fedora Core systems I run both up2date and apt-get - up2date for system updates, and apt-get (usually through synaptic) for FreshRPMs, Dag, ATRPMs, etc., and I use yum on most of the Red Hat systems that are set up to use Fedora Legacy.

Kelson Vibber

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx