Re: RE : YUM help

Ugo Bellavance wrote:

I want to make sure my yum.conf file is correct... it seems strange to me that I should be getting a URL of www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedoralegacy/redhat/Null/os/i386/headers
The "Null" is the part that's throwing me... it appears that the mirrors are not synced yet... all I'm getting is "404" errors...

I think the "Null" is the problem. It looks that it cannot resolve the value of the $releasever variable.

In which case, define it manually using:

releasever="9" or whatnot.

Do you have a custom /etc/redhat.release file (or is it missing all-together)?

Also - pertaining to the original config:

>[updates]
>name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
>baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
>baseurl=ftp://mirror.physics.ncsu.edu/mirror/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
>baseurl=http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedoralegacy/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch

It could easily be said with a single baseurl= line, as long as each entry starts with one or more spaces or other white space. To simplify reordering the lines "as needed" in my case, I write it this way:

baseurl=
  ftp://<url2>
  http://<url3>
  http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch

This allows me to reorder the list or comment out line by line in vim w/o needing to replace the first baseurl line. I'm not sure if defining it as above will superscede the previous definition or append. If the former, it's a bad thing, if the latter, then my way's just another way of going about it.

Additionally, the "updates" section may be redundant since updates-released usually contains Red Hat supplied updated as well as legacy packages.

Finally - I'm seeing a mix of two versions here. Part of the INI pertains to fedora core specifically, and the other part pertains to Red Hat 7.x-9.

Attached is a copy of my yum.conf which I use with Red Hat 8.0 (running Yum 2.x and an updated RPM). My Red Hat 9 config will soon look the same.

HTH,
-Rick

--
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.

[base]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever base
baseurl=
	http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedoralegacy/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch
	http://mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirror/fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch
	http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch
gpgcheck=1
failover=priority

	http://mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirror/fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
	http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch
gpgcheck=1
failover=priority

#[updates-testing]
#name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates-testing
#baseurl=
#	http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedoralegacy/redhat/$releasever/updates-testing/$basearch
#	http://mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirror/fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates-testing/$basearch
#	http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates-testing/$basearch
#gpgcheck=1
#failover=priority

# Using newer RPM
#[legacy-utils]
#name=Fedora Legacy utilities for Red Hat Linux $releasever
#baseurl=
#	http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedoralegacy/redhat/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch
#	http://mirror.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirror/fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch
#	http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch