Re: RHL 9 and VMWare?

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 16:04:55 +0200
From: Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RHL 9 and VMWare?
To: Discussion of the Fedora Legacy Project
	<fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi John,

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 14:28, John Dalbec wrote:

I installed Red Hat Linux 9 from DVD onto a VMWare 3.2.1 machine in order to be able to build Red Hat Linux 9 packages when Red Hat drops support at the end of the month.

I must have missed something - you already use mach, so why would you need VMWare to make RHL9 packages ?

Technically I don't, but the RHL8 box I use right now is slower than my workstation and only has enough disk space for one buildroot and it's not really mine. It's part of our test lab and could be repurposed at any time. My workstation runs Windows and I have a dual-boot partition for RHL 7.3 to do development for some servers I run on RHL 7.3 (which is why I'm interested in Fedora-Legacy). Since mach doesn't run on RHL 7.3, I need another "box". I thought I'd try RHL 9 since I had problems with mach on RHL 8. I expect I'll upgrade VMWare and see if that works.

Also, it's hard to do QA/verification from a buildroot.

John