Re: Yum update problems - slightly maybe off topic

Quoting Seth Shoemaker <sshoemaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

future?  The main problem I have with this is that if I set my machines
to auto update using yum and it stops programs such as mysql that I need
to have running all of the time, this is a bad thing!

Never, ever set servers or other important (must be up and running) machines to use unattended auto-upgrade features of yum, apt, up2date, or anything else. You will only cause yourself pain and suffering. You can have it run on a regular basis to download and advise you that updates are needed, but you should never have it do unattended updates if the machine/service uptime is important.

It may be fine to do unattended auto-updates on your desktop or laptop, but
not on your critical servers...

Thanks.

Seth Shoemaker

-- Eric Rostetter