Mach XFree86 build error - preferred workaround?

Building XFree86 fails with:

egrep: /proc/stat: no such file or directory

This is the offending section of the .spec file:

%if %{ParallelBuild}
numprocs=$(( $(egrep -c ^cpu[0-9]+ /proc/stat || :) * 2 ))
[ "$numprocs" = "0" ] && numprocs=1
echo "PARALLEL MAKE ENABLED: numprocs=$numprocs"
%else
numprocs=1
%endif

Is there a mach-compatible way to accomplish the same thing?

Should I add /proc/stat as a BuildRequires?

I'm trying various workarounds to be able to access /proc/stat, but it doesn't help that the build is run as a non-root user. My latest attempt is to add "none /proc proc defaults,user 0 0" to /etc/fstab and add the "mount" commands below:

%if %{ParallelBuild}
[ -f /proc/stat ] || mount /proc || mount /proc -o remount || :
numprocs=$(( $(egrep -c ^cpu[0-9]+ /proc/stat || :) * 2 ))
[ "$numprocs" = "0" ] && numprocs=1
echo "PARALLEL MAKE ENABLED: numprocs=$numprocs"
%else
numprocs=1
%endif

The remount is because /etc/mtab seems to have mount entries for /proc already.
My workaround appears to have worked. At least the scrolling is much faster now. I had to restart the build with nohup because it's close to quittin' time and I don't leave my Windows box on overnight.

Does mach require a terminal? I tried redirecting stdout and stderr and I still got status messages printed to the terminal. I've closed my SSH window. Will mach wait for TTY output all night instead of building the package?

Thanks,
John