Re: [Fedora-legacy-list] Force rpm upgrade?

On Oct 31, 2003, at 1:44 AM, Jarod C.Wilson wrote:

On Oct 31, 2003, at 12:24 AM, Warren Togami wrote:

We discussed this earlier during the package naming thread on fedora-devel-list, but we should come to an agreement on this now since this is one of the many questions we need to decide upon.

Should we force all Fedora Legacy users to upgrade to the latest version of RPM for their distribution?

RH7.3 -> rpm-4.0.5
RH8   -> rpm-4.1.1
RH9   -> rpm-4.2.1

Why?
1) Long term supportability. RH8's rpm-4.1 is completely broken and unsupportable.
2) Allows us to use a common package naming scheme with all distributions from RH7.3 through FC.

I'd advocate forcing all of them to 4.1.1 or later, otherwise I believe you have inconsistent rpm-newer sorting. However, doing so would create additional problems for 7.3, since there are a few packages that (somewhat stupidly) rely on librpm4.0.x, IIRC. Not to mention that you'd have to build 4.1.1 for 7.3 and get people to actually install it... But then it wouldn't be all that unreasonable to expect people to upgrade to a FL-mandated rpm version to use FL packages.

Or even better, everyone to a 4.2 release that resolves the a<b and b<a problem and also makes that consistent across all three releases. Though I suppose that if the naming scheme is designed adequately, the rpm sorting inconsistencies might not be an issue.
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw@xxxxxxxxxxxx