Re: [Fedora-legacy-list] A helping hand in Seattle

On Sunday, Oct 12, 2003, at 01:41 US/Pacific, Chuck Wolber wrote:

The TACLUG meeting is the week after that. If you guys are willing to
make the trek down to Tacoma, we can all meet then. A group of us
usually meet afterwards as well for beer and dinner.

Heh. That weekend, MY family has plans. :-\

Ack! Maybe we should just keep this thread alive until the next GSLUG meeting ;)

Perhaps. You didn't really miss a heck of a lot yesterday. Not a huge amount to talk about just yet, so it was more of a chance to see people in-person. Jesse talked to the masses for a few minutes to explain what was going on, recruit additional help, etc., and a few of us talked briefly afterwards. Still waiting on hardware, bandwidth, and final words from Red Hat on a number of issues. Jesse's now on the Red Hat/Fedora merger list also. (Jesse, please do pipe up if I've left anything out).

Any chance you could make it to the Tuesday evening Unix Group meeting?
Not really much time to talk though...

I could give it a shot. It's seaslug.org right?

Correct. The agenda for Tuesday night just got posted late last week also. Someone from Amazon will be speaking.

But I assume it stores something in a standard format, unlike MythTV...
Myth now has a web front end to schedule (and delete) recordings now
also. I definitely think the two projects could help one another out in
some way (if only by swiping ideas from one another).

Good point. I remember reading about that nuppel video format. Plenty of
recorders support it now.

Yes and no. It isn't the standard nuv format, it is a slightly modified one, optimized for MythTV's needs, but mplayer does support playback of MythTV's nuv files now. Not really certain about any other player. For the most part, I actually use a WinTV PVR-250, which captures mpeg2 files (via a hardware encoder), and is now fully supported by MythTV.

The benefit to WebVCR+ is that it is basically a
web based scheduler that uses your own recorder. Consequently you get
files in whatever format you want. Currently I use an mjpeg codec in an
avi file format.

MythTV does only mpeg4 or rtjpeg in nuv with a standard v4l device, mjpeg w/an mjpeg hardware-encoder card and mpeg2 w/an mpeg2 hardware encoder card. Oh, and mpeg2-ts/mpeg2-ps w/a HDTV tuner card. I think what you lose in initial file format inflexibility is overcome by MythTV's automatic commercial detection and flagging, after which you can set MythTV's transcode daemon to auto-transcode a commercial-free version of your recording out to whatever format you like. (Such as an SVCD-compliant file). I watch almost all my TV sans-commercials now. :)

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...