Re: [Fedora-legacy-list] A helping hand in Seattle

On Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003, at 17:28 US/Pacific, Chuck Wolber wrote:

Nearly veering the topic into the ground...

;p

I was under the (probably
mistaken) impression that the kernel had to know about your mpeg hardware
to actually make use of it. Will bttv or v4l handle it somehow?

Just gotta have the right kernel modules loaded. You can do everything in MythTV with stock Red Hat kernels (though I don't).

(pulling the topic out of the nosedive)

Heh....

Since we're fedora legacy and we're going to support 7.3, do we have to
remove the MP3 stuff? I know the answer is no, it's just a troll to
possibly elicit discussion about adding the MP3 stuff back into 9.

Not likely, per Jesse's message. Red Hat more likely than not won't let it ride on their mirror system...

^^^
The only sentence from me keeping this message relevant to the list... ;p

Are you familiar with MythTV at all?

Yeah, very much so. I evaluated it for our book (Linux Toys, coming out in
the next week or so. Search for it on Amazon. We could really use some
good reviews).

Cool, will do. Co-authored by the RHL Bible guy, I see. Definitely looks like something I'd enjoy reading.

At the time MythTV sucked pretty badly.

There have been a few bumps in the road, most definitely, but it is pretty damned solid now. I've got it recording and playing back probably about 10 shows per week, plus its interfaced with my entire digital music and movie collections. Check it out again, I think you'll find it is worlds better now. Out of curiosity, how long ago was the time at which it sucked pretty badly? :)

I decided to use
webvcr+ and ended up taking over the project.

Aha. I'm going to spend some more time looking at it myself. I absolutely love my MythTV box now though (esp. since getting an Audio Authority VGA->Component Video adapter to feed my HDTV).

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...