Re: Call for comments - RPM upgrade

Barry K. Nathan wrote:

It might be a few days before I get a chance to test and post a very
detailed example, but here's one possibility (not yet tested, but I
think it should reproduce the bug):

(a) Take a Red Hat 9 box, without Mozilla installed.
(b) Upgrade to RPM 4.2.1.
(c) Try to install the mozilla-* packages from RHL 9. Because of the
lack of epoch promotion, IIRC some of the mozilla-* packages will
conflict with other ones, and it will fail to install.

I think that on RH 9 rpm should be upgraded to 4.2-1 release. It has no epoch problems and it is very hard to get it stuck (unlike the stock 4.2-0.69). I've used it on at least hundred machines with RH 9 and only once did I manage to get it into state where rpm db rebuild was necessary (but that was on a build machine with very heavy rpm use).

Josko P.