Re: Possible Mirrors (was Re: [Fedora-legacy-list] Re: Delay? Looks bad for Fedora)

On Nov 8, 2003, at 12:38 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:

On Friday 07 November 2003 21:31, Edward E. Iwanski wrote:
Is rsync the preferred way to set up a mirror? I'd appreciate any good
docs or links if someone would provide. I've never set one up before,
but would be willing to ask management to host as we have lots of
available bandwidth and have the ability to cap it off if necessary.

I do believe rsync is preferred, not sure if we're going to do rsync over
ssh or not. Honestly I've never set up a mirror system either, I'll be
looking to Red Hat for guidence on this one.

I run {ftp|www|rsync}.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu. Our campus has a vested interest in the success of the fedora legacy project, so I'd like to offer space, bandwidth and some my experience running a mirror.

I obviously can't comment for RedHat, but I can answer some questions from a redhat mirror's prospective. First off, they use rsync. It does put a bit more of a CPU load on the upstream. In my opinion, the aggregate bandwidth and manageability savings are well worth it. They've got a couple of rsync servers in a DNS RR setup as a back-channel for mirrors to get the bits from. Most of the time (when mirrors have a few days to get the bits), this works pretty well. :)

If there's anything I can do, please, feel free to let me know.

 Neil Bright            Computing and Networking Services,
 ncb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      CERCS / IHPCL, College of Computing
 (404) 385-0448         Georgia Institute of Technology