Re: Please follow the KISS principle

Warren Togami wrote:
Johnny Strom wrote:

Regarding RH8, this is totally infeasible. If the community demands that RH8 is not upgraded, then I personally have zero reason to work on this project.

Perhaps it would be a good ide to relase bugfixed pakckages located
at a separate place (directory) from the primary security fixes then users can uppdate the bugfixed packages if they so need or want to.

I am trying to remember... I believe this means we would need to maintain two separate sets of package management tools, as apt compiled for rpm-4.1 and rpm-4.1.1 are different. I could be wrong though.

I dislike the idea of splitting bugfix and security updates because it would further add complexity to the client configuration, as well as add more unnecessary work to the project. If the concern is that we will go wild with arbitrary bugfix packages, this is totally not the case. Bugfixes will be very rare in Legacy, and only in cases where there is no credible opposition.

(Actually, non-critical bugfixes will probably go into the "stable" channel of fedora.us, which is not by default part of Legacy's default channels.)

Regarding RPM specifically, it is a losing proposition to even suggest using RH8 without an RPM upgrade. And don't worry about the stability of that RPM upgrade, as it is very well understood and tested for a very great amount of time and analysis involved. We at fedora.us have been arguing about this all year now. This is nothing new, like people here seem to think it is.

Warren

Hi

I was thinking that the bugfixes that are rear should be separated
so that it would be opptional for users to go and download them
manually from ftp or http. If it is done like that then the bugfixes will not make any extra trouble for the primary security fixes and no
changes would be needed to any client or am I wrong about that?.

In this way we would follow the KISS method and still make ppl
happy that want to fix some bugs.

Johnny