Re: UEFI Secure Dual-boot setup with Microsoft Windows 8

John,

     I think more manufacturers are putting in that UEFI functionality into their new systems that come preloaded with a form of Windows 8. I recently saw it on a HP Pavilion G6 that I gave a family friend as a graduation gift. According to the description, UEFI is more for Windows 8 (possibly Windows 7) and higher OSes. However, on the Pavilion G6, it also has a "Legacy BIOS mode" so you can load prior versions of Windows and all flavors of UNIX. [You've already done the right thing first and foremost -- complete system backup in case of failure.] Drill into the BIOS and see if you have a "Legacy BIOS mode" (other manufacturers may call it something else). If so, follow the directions/prompts carefully about activating it 'cause it may also affect how your other devices may function.

Hope that helps,

Dexter

John Sicora wrote:
To Whom This May Concern:

I'm using a new Asus S551LB Laptop.  The system comes with installed Microsoft Windows 8 System.  Installed Fedora-19-X86_64-DVD on sda 1TB built in hard drive.  After successfully installing Fedora 19, the system is unable to recognize the hard drive and boot into GRUB.  Restored MS Windows 8 with Clonezilla and MS windows management re-appeared in BIOS in order for system to boot up into Windows 8 system.  My issue is how to setup BIOS with UEFI and Secure booting capability in order to use GRUB and Dual boot Fedora and Windows 8.

Respectfully,
John Sicora