Last weeks F17 updates and problems with booting

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem in the last week or so with Fedora 17.

My machine notified my of updates last Wednesday.  I went ahead with the updates. Without warning my screen sort-of flashed and then the machine rebooted. However it would not boot but instead hung (right after the common bad font type message).  My machine will boot in level 3 mode and I can run startx in that mode - though it doesn't manage to run the gnome 3 interface.

I've tried several pretty useless changes - useless in that though they came up in google searches they really don't seem to have anything to do with the issue. I've looked at /var/log/messages with some other experts and we can't see anything that stands out. The issue seems to be an Xorg problem and I'm not sure how I can reconfigure.  I've tried running: "Xorg :1 configure" but that didn't do anything. I don't see any system-config-monitor or anything like that anymore. So I'm not sure what to do to get gnome 3 back working.

Anyone any ideas/similar issues?  As I said I can boot in level 3 and run startx but I still hang on a normal boot.

Lenovo X220

Best,
William