Re: Netbook emergency router; default route question

Ulot, Richard, Dimitris, thanks for the advice,

On 06/04/2012 16:46, Ulot Olhado wrote:
You should only have one default gateway that "points" to the internet.

Yes, I was trying to achieve that. I use XFCE and the network manager applet seems 'not' to let me edit the eth0 connection so that the IF detail is, for example:

192.168.0.66
255.255.255.0
<blank for gateway>

Instead, the applet doesn't let me 'apply' the settings unless the gateway field is filled in.

Then, if the gateway field is filled in, the netbook treats the eth0 gateway address as the default route, instead of using the wlan0 gateway entry as the default route.

I think I understand what I need to achieve, I'm just having difficulty using the setup utilities.

You can use the route command at the cli to see your routes there.
Removing the default gateway on the eth0 device will probably solve you
problem based on what you said.

$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 192.168.13.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 2 0 0 wlan0 192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 1 0 0 eth0 default 192.168.0.190 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

As I mentioned, I don't seem to be able to remove the gateway entry from eth0.

At one time, I used to use firestarter which allowed me to explicitly assign the 'internet' port, and the port for 'local network' access. In system-config-firewall I don't seem to be able to do that; I had set 'masquerade' thinking that might cause the same effect, but obviously not.

I'm going to search the internet for how to do this at cli level - I will post back.

Thanks again for the help.

regards, Ron