Re: Want to Help Fedora Suck Less

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Lalit Dhiri <my_linux@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: chris.schumann@xxxxxxxxx

>> Is this the right place to help with the overall system, even though
>> the issues I'm having are related to specific hardware? I'm having
>> issues with video drivers (open source and proprietary), audio drivers
>> (on a ThinkPad 600X, alsa bug 305, FWIW); but also the default battery
>> and configuration settings are not very good, causing shortened
>> battery run-time and battery life, especially for the secondary
>> battery.
>>

> If you are having problems with drivers etc always search Bugzilla to determine if the issue has been reported as there may be a work around or if nothine is listed always try to report so things can be looked in to.

Excellent. Will do.

> Have you considered using laptop mode tools which can help with hard disk clicking and power saving?

I use powertop, which helps a lot, but I have to remember to use it
every time I restart, which is more often than it used to be with F9.

> http://www.thinkwiki.org/
I'm a contributor there and know it well. Unfortunately, it doesn't
seem to have just what's needed in an accessible manner, and I don't
know how to improve that.

>> What's the best way to help make sure Fedora becomes even more awesome
>> on these machines?
>>

> Consider becoming a Bugzapper so you are testing Alpha, Beta... Preview etc.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers

Never heard of that before. Thank you!

Chris