Re: Fedora 8 hangs!!!

Sudipta Dey schrieb am Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2007:

> After setting up wlan0 I tried to activate the interface thru
> "Network Configuration". The whole KDE GUI became unresponsive. I
> tried to get to console but couldn't, system hang!!!

Just a guess: the NDIS wrapped windows driver froze your system. This can
happen. NDIS website provides recommendations about driver versions which
are known to work. YMMV.

You may also have a look at
http://www.familie-prokop.de/hp-pavilion-dv9375eu/index_en.html
Seems to be very simmilar system.

> Second time I tried running Kopete. When I tried quitting the
> application the KDS GUI hanged agian
> Third time happened when I tried restarting Network service ....
> Evetry time I was forced to do a hard reboot, screwing up my
> filesystem ...

Well, at least it's a consistent behaviour, isn't it? ;)

> It seems there are serious bugs in Fedora 8. This reminds me of
> windows "blue screen". Linux system shouldn't hang like this.

You are right. It's a serious problem and a bug. But where is the bug? In
the Linux kernel, NDIS wrapper or the windows driver?
Unlike a windows OS, Linux provides you the means to investigate the
problem.

--
Bye
Adalbert

Travel important today; Internal Revenue men arrive tomorrow.