Mouse Pointer Missing On Startup

I'm running Fedora 7 on a Compaq F572US laptop, with proprietary Nvidia drivers. During boot, the mouse and mouse pointer appear through rhgb. However, many times, after boot and the gdm login screen appears, the mouse pointer disappears. The mouse still works, since when I move the mouse I can get different boxes to high lite, however the pointer itself is missing. This doesn't happen always, but enough to make it frustrating and warrant a query for help :-) I have to continuously reboot until I get a mouse pointer in gdm.

Can anyone explain how this can happen and what I can investigate?

Thanks,

Jim