wireless card and fedora 7

Hi,

I have installed FC7 on a rather old laptop using the live CD.

I have also an old Netgear MA401 PCMCIA wireless network card.

If the card is inserted during boot, the kernel panics and therefore the boot does not work.

If the card is inserted once the machine is up; running "kudzu" followed by "ifup wlan up" work and the laptop is able to use the wireless card to access the network/internet.

I think this is something to do with which kernel modules are loaded; but am struggling to find a fix which allows me to keep the card in during boot.

Thanks for any help in advance.
JM